24 September 2009

Dr. C


I'll never forget the day I went in for an ultrasound and learned I was going to have a baby boy. I giggled a little when the technician conducting the sonogram passed her magic wand over my belly, and brought into view the little life growing inside of me. There was no doubt he was a boy, and I cried. I felt like superwoman as I embraced my ability to conceive and carry a child--not every woman is as fortunate--and I became fully aware of this gift in this moment.

Corban was a stubborn little baby while he grew inside of me, kicking and stretching me, all the while, in ways I could never describe. Nine days after his due date he still hadn't graced us with his presence and I was becoming more and more impatient. (For any mom who's watched her due-date come and go without any hope of delivering in the near future, knows how maddening it can be.) My anxiousness wasn't completely due to wanting a long pregnancy to be over, but because I was eager to meet my son. Our son.

12 years ago, the doctor finally gave in and induced my labor after what seemed like an eternity. (For pregnant women, months feel like years!~) Corban arrived weighing in at 10 lb. 8 oz., and 22 1/2 inches long. I was surprised at my ability to deliver such a huge baby without complications--the doc was surprised too. When the nurse gingerly laid him on my chest for the first time, Jedbot and I formally introduced ourselves to our new baby--we were already in love!

I've often wondered why Corban was so overdue. Over the years, I just chalked it up to my lazy uterus after giving birth 11 months before to his sister, and figured that my body just wasn't strong enough to go into labor by myself. I don't really know if I believe that now. I think that the bond between a child and his/her mother begins in the womb, and the connection formed is stronger than one might even begin to imagine.
I think that while in my womb he just wanted to be close to his mommy for as long as he could. Because even now, his desire to be close to me is just as strong.

Corban has always been the most loving child, and even now he tells me he loves me and gives me a kiss on the cheek multiple times a day. He's done this for as long as I can remember, it's just easier for him now that he's almost as tall as me. In fact, bedtime becomes a long drawn-out affair because he can't remember if he's given me a kiss good-night or not.

I feel so fortunate to have Corban in our family--he is a very intelligent and witty child who often has us in stitches or engrossed in a serious discussion about something he's learning, and if the last 12 years are any inclination of what the rest of his life will be like, I will continue to exist contently as a proud mother. I don't even mind anymore that he was born 9 days late.

Happy 12th Birthday, Corban!

1 comment:

The Frederick Family said...

12 Corban~!!!! You've got to stop getting older, you know that only makes me older too! I love you. Happy Birthday!