21 April 2009

Cinderella

I couldn't ignore it any longer. The kitchen floor was in dire need of a mopping. A scrubbing, actually. I've been putting it off for way too long, claiming the demands of school to be a perfect alternative to attending to the layers of grime building up on the floor, of which I stand on to prepare meals for my family. I slave and slave all day with my studies of higher education, and have no time to fuss with the frivolities of mopping floors. It is beneath me...

Even I don't buy that load of crap! I've just been too lazy to drag out the mop and bucket.

So today, I sighed as I analyzed the not-at-all shiny kitchen floor, and decided I couldn't make any more excuses to buy me the time to put it off even one more day...or two. I felt a little like Cinderella as I knelt down on the cold linoleum and began the tedious chore of scrubbing by hand. Yes, I scrubbed by hand. There was no way around it. I don't even think bleach could whiten this nastiness. So I settled in and started spraying the floor with Scrubbing Bubbles and rubbing an SOS Pad across the stains and dried-on food. To my surprise, the floor was actually coming clean! Hallelujah! It's a MIRACLE!


Just take a look below to see the line separating the beautiful, clean floor from the dirty side.


It's shameful, I know. A mother should never allow her floors to be in such conditions. I hang my head in guilt as I kick myself for not attending to it sooner, but I don't blame myself entirely. If only I had a weekly maid to do my chores for me, I would never feel such discouragement as a homemaker. *sigh*. I've sadly come to the conclusion that my floor cleaning days will never cease, and I will have to endure the agony of scrubbing grime from them until the day I die. It's my lot in life.

So there you have it. I buckled under the pressure to clean my own floor and not resort to calling in the experts at Merry Maids. Something I would never do, but dream about quite frequently.

As you can see I need to be getting back to the floor before I decide I like the "half-clean, half-dirty" look and leave it for another day to finish...or until the clean side matches the dirty.

4 comments:

Leian Felton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leian Felton said...

Now I have to go and clean my floor... You know, as long as they know how to walk, and are not forced to crawl because they havent learned yet, those floors can go a LONG time. As a matter of fact, you can just rename the floors from white, to cream!

Aaron & Kambrala Frederick said...

Emily, you are just going to have to invest in a person named Karaska. She has gotten very good at cleaning the kitchen floor, just ask her. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you all about it! Love you, and thank you for your wonderful comments on our blog. We miss you all very much.
Kambrala

Shelby Crow said...

Daddy was sooooo impressed w/ your work!! KISS KISS!! Jk :)