Warning: This post is one of great seriousness and may bring the reader to tears at any given moment. Be advised, but also be grateful!

Sometimes doing the hard thing for the right reasons makes us hero's. The hero's I'm speaking of are the men and women of our military. Although fighting for a free country seems noble, it can also be the most difficult thing a family can ever endure; tearing at the heartstrings of our loyalties to country and family. I only say this because I have been thinking about it lately, especially after the 7th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I think back to that day when watching the news I witnessed the towers fall and denial set in. I was so shocked at what I had just seen that I actually believed that all the men and women in the towers were able to make it outside safely. For a split second I breathed a sigh of relief...but horror soon overcame me as I came to my senses and realized that I was wrong...so wrong. I wept.

I still grieve for the victims of that day especially when I consider the fact that my 7 year old son was only 1 month old at the time. I grieve knowing that so many have gone without their dear loved ones for 7 years. I grieve for the pregnant wives that day, knowing that their 7 year old children have gone their whole lives so far without their daddies. This saddens me right to the very center of my being.

No person wants to be without the ones they love so dear. This brings me back to the fine members of our country's military. So many have sacrificed their lives for our freedoms. When I say they sacrifice their lives I also refer to the ones who survive. The ones who return to their families scarred and wounded physically and mentally. I feel for them. My heart aches for the ones who don't return at all.
This post may seem to have a hidden agenda or meaning, but it doesn't. I heard this song the other day on the radio (the one on my playlist by Carrie Underwood - Just a Dream) and it got me thinking about the men in my family who have previously served, and are currently serving in the Military. (I know, the song is sad. However, sometimes the sad songs are the ones that prick us right in the heart...as this one did for me.) I want my men to know how much they mean to me and how thankful I am that they have served so honorably. I love each of you more than my heart should be allowed. To my Grandad, my dad, my brother and my husband...I solute you.
Hybert M. Hill
I can't put into words how proud I am of them for their sacrifices. Sacrifices that may never be seen with the naked eye. If you could see me now as I type the conclusion of this post you would see a woman with tears of love and honor in her eyes.
I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the fact that if my granddad, Paul Light, didn't come home from the war, I wouldn't be here. My parents, my siblings, my children, my nieces and nephews...all of us...we wouldn't be here today. How do you thank a person like that for giving you life and giving you a family to love and cherish? I haven't figured that out yet. The only way I know how to show the gratefulness I feel is to say: Thank you. Short, sweet, simple, effective. I love you all. Thank you for all you do, all you have done, and especially...for being my hero's.





No comments:
Post a Comment