19 March 2009

The Best Gift Ever!

On the last day of school before winter break, Colby came running into the house with a present that he so giddily placed under the Christmas Tree. He was adamant about me not opening it until Christmas morning. I couldn't have ever imagined what I would find under the colorful wrapping paper.

With my keen sense of deciphering presents based on their shape and size, I was pretty confident that it was a drawing or hand written letter. Nope.

Tears started to stream down my cheeks as I carefully opened his precious offering, of which he kept a secret for several weeks. I imagined my look of excitement to be somewhat similar to the time I opened a gift containing a beautiful dollhouse when I was 7 years old. Mouth opened wide, with deep dimples on either side of my smile. I just couldn't look away from the carefully cut outline of my youngest baby. A stamp in time that will forever be the likeness of a curly red-headed, freckle-faced little boy, with soft cheeks and a toothless smile.

I was at a loss for words as I thought of Colby's teacher tracing the lines, and delicately shaping the face of my sweet child. The thoughtfulness involved could only be that of another mother, appreciating the same treasure.

And a treasure it is.

No comments: