
I don't know why this surprised me.
The other day while I was studying for an Anatomy and Physiology test, I was quizzing Jedbot to see how much he remembered from way back when he took this class. I was asking really basic questions to start off with...knowing that he would know the answers.
I asked him to name the 3 major parts of a cell. He rattled off the first 2 without a hitch. Nucleus and cytoplasm. Easy. Then for some reason, he was stumped with the 3rd major part of a cell. Next thing I know, I hear this little voice coming from the couch..."cell membrane". I flipped my head in the direction of the familiar voice. I had to laugh because I was surprised that I was surprised. I mean, who other than my little scientist, could it be?
Corban just sat there smiling. He was watching TV when he heard Jedbot and I talking, and just couldn't help but tear his attention away from his favorite program (one of his many Discovery Channel shows, no doubt) to complete the list I was seeking. Sometimes I am just amazed at what that kid knows! I know I shouldn't be surprised, especially these days, when the schools are pushing students as far as they can to see how much they can learn. But really, he is always spitting out some sort of scientific information that I KNOW I didn't learn at his age. Now I'm wondering if my 5th grader is smarter than me. That actually wouldn't surprise me either. (Not that I think I'm dumb or anything, just that he is so much like a sponge when it comes to science.)
"Okay, Mr. Smarty-Pants, what does the cell membrane DO?, I ask.
He replied, "Well, Mother, the cell membrane is the outer covering of the cell, and it's where particles can come in and out."
What?.....I just erupted in laughter and then I teared up, as any proud Mamma would do. What a smart little boy I have.
By the way, I think I may have found me a study partner.






No comments:
Post a Comment