December 21st.4 more days. All the shopping is done, the kids are out of school, and jack frost is nipping at my tender nose. Isn't it just a magical time of year? The kids are giddy at the thought that Christmas is literally around the corner, and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to wait any longer for them to open their much anticipated gifts. But, what kind of parent would I be if I gave in to my children every time they asked to open a present? That's what makes Christmas so magical...the waiting, the butterflies on Christmas Eve, the excitement of waking up and sleepily realizing that it's Christmas morning, and the sound of the first tear of wrapping paper.
How could I take that away from them, and ruin the whole experience?
I just can't.
And I just won't.
They'll have to wait, just like every other child in this country. They'll have to wipe the sleep out of their eyes on Christmas morning, and contain their jitters as they hear the sluggish shuffle of their parents slippers, just like every other child. AND, they will just have to suffer through "Santa" (aka daddy) handing out presents, one-by-one, just like every child, old and young, did and will, until they are parents and can bestow the same privilege on their children.
One day they will understand the right of passage they will experience, as they carefully pick out their own Christmas Tree, display a precious nativity heirloom, and stay up wrapping their own children's gifts way into the night. It will only be then, that they will truly comprehend the magic and wonder surrounding this special time of year, and they too, won't want to spoil it for their little ones begging for the 25th to come sooner than it's supposed to.
Until then, the torture will continue as my little angels relentlessly beg to open "Just one, Mommy. Pleeeeease, just one"!
I just hope I can hold out 4 more days...






No comments:
Post a Comment